Monday, November 19, 2012

Coming of Age Day {성년의 날}

The coming of age Day is a day which is celebrated in most countries. A celebration that marks the transition from childhood to adulthood. It is a very important age for those young people who are turning 20 years. On this day they get gifts and and get welcomed into the society as adults.
I had got a call in the morning from the office requesting me to join these celebrations.
I knew totally nothing about it so when I got this call I was taken aback and had no idea what I was supposed to wear or even how they are conducted. Celebrations to becoming a woman in Africa and everywhere else in the world are totally different. So when I told them I am not sure what that meant they promised to explain to me what exactly was going to happen and what was expected of me.
We did a lot of preparing since I am not used to the bending and all that bowing.
I had to be taught from the start on how to give respect to the elders and how and where to place my hands, how to maintain my facila expression and even how to drink tea from the small cups that we were supposed to use during the celebration. It was totally traditional and I almost gave up!!!
But I ad to give it a try. I wanted so badly to experience the Korean culture as I was also so new here.

We wore 한복 (Korean traditional dress} I had a hard time trying to make sure it fit my bust since the ones we had we kind of designed for smaller busts. It had to fit. I was determined.
It was an awesome day for me!!

I turned 20 in style!!





This bowing may seem easy but I swear you have to bow to a certain angle and doing that repeatedly made my back ache. ㅠㅠ



It was time to fasten my hair  with a "binyeo," an ornamental hairpin
this was a problem, with my sister dreadlocks. The pin could not stick in well but we took care of that well enough.



And then i had to  put on a "jjokduri," a ceremonial cap.

This was the whole crew. Four {two Koreans and two foreigners} of us turned twenty and we had Korea parents who helped us dress up and make up and one who taught us how to bow.

We all would go through the transition....<3




It was time to be thankful for the opportunity given to us to participate in the celebration. 














The two girls with black suits were me and the other foreigner's translators.

This was one day I will always be glad and thankful for in Korea.....Initiation

you can watch the link below to get to see what happened though I am not in the video so much.

http://www.tagstory.com/video/100006846


Peace and love
Phie


Comments motivate Phyllis...Please leave a comment below thank you:-)






2 comments:

  1. Wow! What an amazing experience!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tracy that is when I was still new to Korea,!!
    It was really nice..

    ReplyDelete